McGuinty Government Working to Solve Water Challenges at Home and Abroad
Through the Water Sector Strategy, Ontario will become a North American leader, driving innovation, expanding exports, and creating a competitive Ontario advantage in clean water technology.
In collaboration with water companies, municipalities, researchers, and industry, the strategy will:
- Create efficient and affordable solutions for water conservation in Ontario.
- Attract foreign investment.
- Encourage local water companies to export technologies internationally.
- Build a globally competitive Ontario water sector.
Attracting investment and supporting business is part of the McGuinty government’s plan to create jobs and strengthen the economy. A strong economy protects the services that matter most to Ontario families: health care and education.
- Ontario companies pioneered ultraviolet disinfection and membrane filtration technology — two industry standards used throughout the world.
- 11 of Ontario’s leading water companies and research institutes will join the Premier’s trade mission to China to showcase their technologies and sustainable water solutions.
- Nearly 22,000 people work at 900 companies across Ontario’s water sector.
- China is Ontario’s and Canada’s second-largest trading partner in the world. In 2011, two-way trade between Ontario and China totaled $29 billion.