Fleming College’s Office of Applied Research is a gateway to college applied research and development expertise. The department offers applied research and business development services to business, industry, and community organizations in fields related to our academic programs.
The major objectives of applied research at Fleming College are to:
- Support local business, industry and institutions in their efforts to innovate, and improve their products and processes through applied research activities.
- Enhance student education and research skills through applied research opportunities.
- Utilize faculty expertise and promote the professional development of college faculty and employees through research opportunities.
For Industry Partners
The Industry Innovation office at Fleming’s Office of Applied Research is here to help connect you with our research staff and facilities. We will assess your needs and collaborate with you to determine the best research route for you.
We will provide experienced professional researchers, scientists, technologists and students and help you:
- Design, develop, test or improve products and services
- Prototype and test new technology and processes
- Commercialize innovative technologies
- Access research funding and partners
Considering a new project? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be pleased to consult with you free of charge to see if there is a good fit with the CAWT or faculty at the college.
Intellectual property and non-disclosure
Before beginning any research with your company, our research office will sign an agreement with you regarding ownership of IP. The general principles of the agreement are as follows:
- Ownership of IP produced during a research and development project in association with an Industry Partner will be owned by the Industry Partner.
- In most cases college students and faculty must be involved in the research and development activity. This is a condition of many funding agencies.
- The Industry Partner must be actively involved in the research and development activity.
- In addition to ownership of IP, all staff and students engaged in research with your company sign Non-Disclosure Agreements stating that they will not disclose to any third party any confidential information obtained through the research at any time.